Thursday 6 June 2013

Turn It Up!: Patty Griffin - Rain (Music Video) + Tony (Audio Only Video)


 I've gone back through previous posts, quickly skimmed all 166 of them and I could have sworn I had done at least one post about Patty Griffin, but I can't seem to find one, and that's just wrong. So, I'm adding two Patty songs in one post. When your name is on the header you can do shit like that.

 I'm going to see Patty in concert for the second time this coming Tuesday June 11th and as such I've been playing her music (mainly in my car) incessantly. She is a Grammy winning American Country/Folk/Gospel singer/songwriter who has released 7 studio albums since 1996 and 2 live albums, and has written songs which have been recorded and/or covered by the likes of The Dixie Chicks, Emmylou Harris, Bette Midler and Kelly Clarkson (among many others).

 The first video I'm adding is the official music video for her song "Rain" from her 2002 album "1000 Kisses". This song is one of my top 10 favourite songs of hers, the music is so beautifully simplistic (I love the soft percussive instruments that sound like rainfall) and the lyrics are so fragile that it supports the simple animated piece that is the video and contrasts the emotions so wonderfully. A song about the sorrow of a failed relationship and how the depths of despair can pour down like a rainstorm.

 "Sometimes a hurt is so deep deep deep 
You think that you're gonna drown 
Sometimes all I can do is weep weep weep 
With all this rain falling down 

 Strange how hard it rains now 
Rows and rows of big dark clouds 
When I'm holding on underneath this shroud 
Rain"

 The second video I'm adding is a live acoustic version of the song "Tony" from her 1998 album "Flaming Red". I chose this song because it was the song that made me a Patty Griffin fan and I feel it's still the most socially relevant, especially in these days of rampant teen suicides. Tony particularly deals with a gay teen who commits suicide after relentless bullying and how the character singing the song reacts.

  "I hated every day of high school 
It's funny, I guess you did too 
Its funny how I never knew 
There I was sitting right behind you 
They wrote it in the local rag 
Death comes to the local fag 
I guess you finally stopped believing 
That any hope would ever find you 
Well I know that story, 
I was sitting right behind you"

 The performance is from the live charity album "Live In The X Lounge" which is pictured in the video. Hope you enjoy these two songs! I'll be adding a few more Patty video's in the next couple of days!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment