Friday, 1 November 2013

Turn It Up!: Cher - Woman's World (Music Video)



  "Tell The Truth, This Is A Woman's World!"

 I've been on such a Cher high for the past month, you wouldn't believe how much I've been listening to her. And why not? She recently released her 25th studio album "Closer To The Truth", which is an absolutely incredible piece of work (you're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't have it yet), and the legendary Diva has also announced her latest tour venture (despite her previous 2 year long Farewell Tour back in 2002) which is set to start in 2014, entitled The Dressed To Kill Tour. This boy has his ticket, do you? 

Woman's World was the first single from the album, and though it leaked online in September of 2012, the single didn't officially get released until June of this year. It was worth the wait for this amazing song of female empowerment. The video (directed by Ray Kay) was released on August 20th and features Cher in many a fantastic wig (one made of shredded newspaper clippings, one made of wheat, and one particular wig that Cher has admitted she doesn't care for) while her body is mixed and matched with various other women's. 

Just a word about my love and respect for this woman. I first fell in love with her when I saw the movie Mermaids when I was about 14. I loved that movie so much, her relationship with Winona Ryder in that film was just so funny and (although heightened) very relatable. The teenage angst you feel towards your parents as a teen were perfectly highlighted in that film. Then, my best friend Dean showed me the movie "Mask" and that was it, I was transfixed forever. So, it's safe to say that I fell in love with Cher as an actress first and then the music came after. The first song I heard by her was probably The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) but I remember vividly, hearing the song "After All", her duet with Peter Cetera on the radio quite often when I was a kid, and loving it to pieces, but I just didn't know at the time who sang it. So, my first Cher album was a Greatest Hits album (1965 - 1992) that I bought while on vacation in Scotland. It had 15 hits on it and I became obsessed. She didn't sound like anyone else, her musical style was always changing, her looks (for the most part) were always amazing and flawless (there are obviously a few exceptions lol) and of course, once you watch her in interviews and/or read about her life and career (Read her book "The First Time")and realize, that's she's just about the funniest and most down to earth and straight forward human beings there is, it's hard to not get caught up in the dark ladies spell.

 So, thank you Cher, for touching my heart and soul with your many amazing performances throughout the years (both in film and in music) and here's to an amazing tour ahead! Can't wait til April!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment