Thursday 28 June 2012

Turn It Up!: Mitsou - Deep Kiss (Music Video)



I'm adding this video by 90's French Canadian Pop Artist Mitsou for two reasons. One, because I love her and I'm feeling nostalgic. Two, because I was talking about her with a few friends on Twitter (American friends lol) and they had never heard of her (except for my friend Joe), and well, I think that's a shame. Now, most of them disagreed with me when I said I preferred her version of the song "Heading West" over Cyndi Lauper's original version (the one time I will ever choose another artist over Cyndi), and that's fine by me, but in order to showcase the brilliance that was Mitsou back in the early 90's, I've chosen to post one of her other cross over hits.

For those of you also unaware of who Mitsou is, she is a French Canadian (born in Loretteville Quebec), singer, businesswoman, radio and television personality and occassional actress who had mild success with singles like "Dis-Moi, Dis-Moi", "Heading West", "Deep Kiss", "Bye Bye Mon Cowboy", and "Comme j'ai toujours envie d'aimer" back in the early to mid 90's.

Though she had much radio success, her video's were always a bit too racey to be played on Much Music and were often times banned from the station until the creation of their late night program "Too Much For Much". This video must have been alright by them though, since I remember seeing it repeatedly played when I was 10.

In the years that followed her mild Pop success, Mitsou was a co-host on a Morning radio show in Quebec, hosted the show Au Courant for CBC Newsworld, a news program that featured Hot new trends and places in French Canada (among other television gigs) and is the editor of the Quebec magazine "Clin d'oeil".

I dream of the day when she'll release new music, until then I'll listen to her back catalogue on repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment