Sunday 26 August 2012

Turn It Up!: Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes (Music Video)



How I got to 101 posts without a single mention of Debbie Gibson is beyond me!

I loves me some Debbie Gibson! She was one of my all-time favourite singers when I was a kid and well into my teen years. I still remember my older brother getting her "Out Of The Blue" album for (I think it was) his 8th Birthday and I became obsessed with the song "Only In My Dreams". In fact, in much of the way that Wilson Phillips' "Release Me" was a song of the summer during our annual summer holidays to Myrtle Beach, "Only In My Dreams" was another song that I would yell for my parents to turn up when it came on the radio during the long car ride.

As I got older and my love of theatre and Broadway musicals started to kick in, Debbie (who had now taken on her given name, Deborah) was the perfect artist for me to emulate because she blended the world of Pop and Broadway together, starring in multiple Musicals like "Grease", "Beauty & The Beast", "Funny Girl", "Cabaret", and "Joseph & The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat" (which is where this ultimate fan boy finally met his longtime idol).

At the age of 30, though her voice recently has not been as lustrous as her formative years, I still find myself continuously following my childhood idol and anticipating her next move. No one else but Debbie could make me tune into a single episode of "Celebrity Apprentice", but as soon as I heard she was cast in this years past season, I was eating it up.

Remember This?!?! It's Electric!!!
As an amazing gift for my Christmas 2 years ago, my best friend Dean even found me a bottle of her infamous "Electric Youth" Perfume on E-Bay. That's how deep my love is for all things Debbie! Now I can smell like the 80's whenever I want. Love It!

Though my top 2 favourite albums by her are "Think With Your Heart" (1995), & "Deborah" (1997), I decided to add the video for the "Electric Youth" track "Lost In Your Eyes" because I really do think it is one of her most iconic tracks and one that has truly stood the test of time. The one thing I don't like about the video are the scenes where she has the curly permed hair. She looks like Jodie Sweetin from Full House. (Stephanie Tanner Realness!)

"Lost In Your Eyes" was the first single from "Electric Youth" (1989), and was Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts for three straight weeks.

Do you not still love this song? For a 17 year old girl to write, produce and perform a song like this... You have to admit, that's mighty impressive!

Enjoy Gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment