Friday 7 September 2012

Turn It Up!: Donna De Lory - Sky Is Open (Music Video)



I don't know if I can quite put into words my love for Donna De Lory's music, but I'll try. We all have days where the stresses of daily life can get to us a bit too much, we run ourselves ragged to the point where we just can't cope another second. But, whenever I happen to have one of those overly stressful days, I find that if I listen to Donna's music it makes me feel better. There is something in her voice that manages to soothe my soul. I'm sure the fact that she chooses to keep her sound in the realm of middle eastern chords helps a little as well, that sound scape is instantly meditative to begin with, but I think that if her voice weren't as luscious and honeyed as it is, then it wouldn't have the same effect.

I'm quite pleased that she has progressed so beautifully as an artist in her own right. She has gone from budding pop dance starlet (with her debut self-titled album "Donna De Lory (1993)) to what I like to call the Queen of the Mantra's (with her most recent (and second) Sanskrit and English fusion album Sanctuary (2008)).

Donna De Lory, Madonna, Niki Haris - The Girlie Show Tour (1993)
I know we all loved her whenever she was supporting Madonna during her world tours and providing backing vocals to many of the Queen's biggest hits, but I have to say, when I was given the opportunity to see Donna perform live during the resurgence of Lilith Fair in 2010 at Molson Amphitheatre, I was pleased to see a much simpler, more laid back setting. I knew she could sing and dance her ass off beside the biggest name in music, but to have a more intimate performance was just dreamy.

Sky Is Open is the title song from Donna's 5th studio album (2006), which you should all check out!

Wow, I ramble a lot! Sorry kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment