Thursday 5 July 2012

Picture This: Fiona Apple Live @ Sound Academy in Toronto



This is my last Fiona post for awhile, I promise lol. So, last night was pretty fuckin' awesome (even though it was the hottest day this year and Sound Academy don't seem to believe in Air Conditioning)!
Opening Act: Blake Mills
The night started off with opening act Blake Mills, a great singer who just so happens to be Fiona's guitarist. A very cute guy who had a country/blues kinda vibe going on (somewhat like John Mayer but not really). A lot of people were talking during his set which always drives me a bit crazy. I always love to hear the opening acts at shows because I have found some of my favorite artists that way. Anyway, it left me feeling pleased (because he was really good), and majorly pissed off (because people don't have the same respect for opening acts as I do).

Then around 9:00, on walks Fiona to the opening drum beat of her hit "Fast As You Can", her incredibly thin frame dressed in a white tank top, floor length purple skirt (with floral tattooed stalkings underneath) and a purple thin knit scarf which was abandoned after the first two songs (seriously, it was fucking hot in this room).

She sounded great on every song but the one thing I noticed (and I've noticed this in live video's too) is that her nerves sometimes get the best of her voice and a trembulous vibratto takes over on the more upbeat material. Having said that, the amazing quality of her singing live is that she's able to convey every emotion from tender to rageful during every song.

The setlist included so many of my favorites, and in between taking many pictures (only a few are added here) I made a note of the setlist on my phone lol. Here it is!

Fast As You Can
On The Bound
Shadowboxer
Paper Bag (I was hoping she would, and she did)
Anything We Want
Get Gone
Sleep To Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Werewolf
Tymps (The Sick In The Head Song)
Daredevil
I Know
Every Single Night
Not About Love
Carrion

Encore:
Criminal
It's Only Make Believe (cover song by The Hollies)

Anyway, it was a great show, well worth the 16 year wait. If you have a chance to go see her, I recommend it highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment