Thursday 6 June 2013

Turn It Up!: Cathy Dennis - Just Another Dream (Music Video)



  "Is this for real, or is it just another dream?"

 It seems I always start my blogs by thanking my friend and avid supporter, Jordanna for helping influence what songs I put on here, and I'm doing so again. I had planned to put most of these songs anyway, but she helps to expedite when I choose to add them.

 Cathy Dennis was a 90's British pop singer/songwriter, who released three mildly successful albums between 1991 and 1996, her most successful of these was her first release, 1991's "Move To This". With hit singles like "Just Another Dream", "Touch Me (All Night Long)", and "Too Many Walls", Move To This spent 40 weeks on the Billboard Hot 200 chart where it peaked at number 67. She found smaller success with her second album, "Into The Skyline" (1992) with the lead single "You Lied To Me" who's video (if my memory serves me right) was even featured during the end credits of the original "Beverly Hills 90210" for a time during one of it's early seasons (no doubt to help sales). Her third album, "Am I The Kinda Girl?" (1996), was only released in the UK and Europe, but made little to no mark on the charts.

 I remember seeing an interview a long time ago with Cathy (I think it was when Much Music had her on Spotlight, which was a half hour to hour program when they used to focus on the music videos of one particular artist and show interview clips between them), and I recall Cathy admitting that she wasn't a big fan on the performing aspect of being an entertainer, which is perhaps why she has focused her efforts on songwriting and producing for other artists since her last studio album. She has become one of the most heralded and saught after songwriters in pop music, collaborating with artists such as Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Spice Girls, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Emma Bunton, and S Club 7 on some of their biggest hits (Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" and "Come Into My World", Britney's "Toxic", Katy's "I Kissed A Girl" etc.). She has even won multiple awards for her contribution to songwriting.

 Clearly she has found her niche, but I still miss seeing and hearing her in this fashion. I love this video, she has the most startling green eyes I think I've ever seen, and her little head wiggle is adorable.

 As a bonus, I'm also adding Cathy's demo version of Toxic which was the blueprint for Britney's recording.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment