Wednesday 12 June 2013

Turn It Up! Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love (Music Video)


  "I'm so thankful that I've received the answer that heaven has sent down to me!"

 Mariah Carey's self titled debut album came out 23 years ago today and so, I'm adding my favourite single, not only from that album, but possibly of all time from Mariah (a few others are neck and neck). I've always had a deep love for this song and have held it in the highest regard since I heard it for the first time when I was 8 years old. 23 years later, it still amazes me and stands the test of time.

 I think the choice to release this as her very first single was genius, because it fully encompassed her sound (especially in the 90's) which was a great mix of pop, r&b, and a teeny bit of gospel (the girl can take you to church when she wants to). Tommy Mattola may have been an asshole, but he knew what he was doing. The song has been heralded by many critics as one of the best debut singles by a female artist ever, and was number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 4 consecutive weeks.

 Mariah Carey (the album), has been certified 9x Platinum in the US (7x Platinum in Canada), was #1 on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums chart for 11 consecutive weeks, and (along with Vision Of Love) had three other consecutive #1 singles. Worldwide, the album has sold over 15 million copies. Not bad for a first go, huh? 

Now, I feel like doing another poll. Vote on the side panel for which single from Mariah's debut album was your favourite (I'll add the video of the singing song, unless it's Vision Of Love lol).

 Happy Anniversary "Mariah Carey"!

No comments:

Post a Comment