Friday 10 May 2013

Turn It Up!: Mariah Carey Feat. Miguel - #Beautiful (Music Video)



 Oh Mimi! You make me giggle!

 I don't know where to start with this post! Obviously this is the brand new single by Mariah, from her (as yet) untitled 14th studio album which is due for release sometime within the next month, but my first impression (as much as I'm living for this song) is that she seems to have managed to make herself the guest star in her own single once again (much like her ill-fated release "Triumphant (Get 'Em)" back in August of 2012). The difference with this release however is that, when she finally takes her moments in this song, she shines brighter than any diamond in any Rihanna song.

 The song is so low key and unexpected for a diva of Mariah's magnitude but it's rhythm and melody (reminiscent of 1960's r&b pop/soul music, I'm thinking a little Fontella Bass) are so intoxicating that it's no wonder critics are anticipating that it will become her 19th #1 single. It has the sweet warmth and freshness of a perfect summer cruising song. Not at all intrusive, but perfectly chill.

 Let's talk about the video now, shall we? I said it on my facebook, and I'll say it here... Mariah is still bat shit crazy lol (I mean that in the best possible way). Dancing around and striking Diva poses in a barn full of chandeliers and flashing her cooter for Miguel (I'm sorry, nude panties? Mariah, really?!?!) just makes me laugh my ass off. That said, I don't think I've ever seen her looking more Flawless. The bitch is FIERCE and CURVALICIOUS in that yellow mini-dress and black leather crop top and ass hugging short shorts. Werk every last inch of that body Mimi!!!!!!! I wish she would look that gorgeous on American Idol.

 As for what you can expect from the rest of her album when it eventually materializes, Mariah says,

 "I'm collaborating with a lot of my favorite people but the main thing is [that] I'm not trying to follow any particular trend, I want it to be well received. I want to stay true to myself and the music that I love and make the fans happy".

 "It's about making sure I have tons of good music, because at the end of the day that's the most important thing....There are a lot more raw ballads than people might expect...there are also uptempo and signature-type songs that represent [my] different facets as an artist.....Wherever we go with this project, I've tried to keep the soul and heart in it".

 Sounds like we're in for a treat, which is good because her last album, 2009's "Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel", was a bit of a clunker.

 In other Mariah news, watch for her return to the big screen as she is part of the all-star cast of the new Lee Daniel's film "The Butler" which includes Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, Terrence Howard, Vanessa Redgrave, Robin Williams, Melissa Leo, James Marsden, Alan Rickman, Jane Fonda, and Lenny Kravitz (just to name a few). And of course, she is still bickering and rolling her eyes at Nicki Minaj on American Idol, where I must say, as much as she babbles sometimes (I would be the pot that calls the kettle black), she manages to give the most technically incisive critiques, even with Randy calling her "Dude" and "Dawg" every 2 seconds, which I'm sure just pisses her off.

 That is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment